Friday, September 17, 2010

dont forget to breathe

I have had a bad back for as long as I can remember. I fractured my lower back in college (gymnastics as a young girl and then rowing freshman year in college...the two things together are the cause apparently), and now more recently two herneated disks in my neck (probably due to the little monkey that used to swing from my neck before he was too big for me to pick up). I was happy when a book I ordered "Healing Back Pain: The Mind-Body Connection" arrived in the mail yesterday. I was also happy to read this article about breathing....http://tinyurl.com/3xlva3q   Breathing to calm the nervous system, which is really the root of our insides. I need to remember to breathe. Well of course I do inhale and exhale every few seconds, but I need to be more aware of the each one. This is apparently a great determination of stress level....how we take in stress, how we deal with it, and how we spit it out, if at all. I love doing a deep yoga breath and feel present, but have to work on it and remind myself. I guess I should pat myself on the back for remembering now and then. I also wonder whether this has anything to do with my fertility challenges, and the other stuff (crappy linging and aging eggs) are just a product of that strees? Breathe. Relax. Ha ha, easier said than done. When you are gunning it to the finish line, and so are your ovaries, you dont really have time to stop and breath.  Read this article on stress and infertility: http://www.webmd.com/infertility-and-reproduction/features/infertility-stress.

To do for today - figure out how to live stress-free. Riiiight.



When the breath wanders the mind also is unsteady.  But when the breath is calmed the mind too will be still, and the yogi achieves long life.  Therefore, one should learn to control the breath.  ~Svatmarama, Hatha Yoga Pradipika

No comments:

Post a Comment